Discussion Forum :  Trainnews.org The fastest message board... ever.
A place to discuss railroad related topics. 
Alex Mayes Trip report 4014 - part 3
Posted by: Espee99 ()
Date: June 07, 2019 05:03PM

PART 3 OF 3 From Alex Mayes

On July 23, 2013 Union Pacific Railroad announced it had reacquired UP 4-8-8-4 “Big Boy” No. 4014, with the goal of restoring it to service. UP donated the 4014 to the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, Southern California Chapter in 1961 after it completed its last revenue service in 1959. The 4014 clocked in over one million miles in its 20 years in freight service. The 4014 had resided at the RailGiants Train Museum in Pomona, California for many years, and had not run in 52 years. On November 14, 2013, UP 4014 was moved from its home at the museum, on temporary track, onto the adjacent parking lot, with plans to take it to Union Pacific's rail yard in Colton, CA before its move to Cheyenne, Wyoming. The locomotive arrived in Cheyenne on May 8th 2014. However, for the next two years the locomotive sat idle outside the steam shop while the UP steam crew focused their attention on working on UP 4-8-4 No #844.

In July 2016 work began on No. 4014. Work on the 4014 was completed in early May 2019, and shakedown runs were performed on May 2nd and May 3rd. On May 4, 2019 the 4014 departed Cheyenne on its inaugural run after restoration. This was a five-day journey to Ogden, Utah, where it was placed on display at the Utah State Railroad Museum, which is housed in Ogden Union Station. The 4014 double headed with UP 4-8-4 No. 844 all the way to Ogden. The consist was comprised of nine vintage cars, including one dome car. UP 4014 is the world’s largest operating steam locomotive.

I followed the inaugural run of the 4014/844 steam special from Cheyenne to Henefer, Utah and took lots of photos. Below are some of my shots. On May 12th the steam special with the same two locomotives began its eastward journey back to Cheyenne. My wife Teresa and I chased this trip for two of the days. A trip report on this chase will follow later.

Another shot at Superior.

The Big Boy’s rod bearings being lubricated at Point of Rocks, Wyoming.

Third day, May 6th--the steam special departed Rock Springs shortly after 4:00 AM. This shot was taken as the train ducked under the U.S. Route 30 bridge at 6:18 AM at Granger. The temperature was 35 degrees which produced huge volumes of steam from both engines.

Another shot at Granger.

Passing through Fort Bridger on May 6th, 28 miles west of Granger.

Another shot at Fort Bridger.

Third day, May 6-descending Wasatch Grade through scenic Echo Canyon.

Another shot in scenic Echo Canyon.

Roaring through Henefer. After this shot I headed west on I-80 to Salt Lake City to meet up with Teresa to begin the NRHS convention.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Alex Mayes Trip report 4014 - part 3130 Espee99 06/07/2019 05:03PM
Re: Alex Mayes Trip report 4014 - part 3 44 MIkeB 07/16/2019 07:35AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 614.4 KB
  • 10 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.